The Greatest Commandment

Words of Christ in stories and parables from the Bible.

The Greatest Commandment

Postby Angelic Enigma » Wed May 27, 2009 6:51 pm

Matthew 22:35-40 KJV
(35) Then one of them, which was a lawyer, asked him a question, tempting him, and saying,
(36) Master, which is the great commandment in the law?
(37) Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.
(38) This is the first and great commandment.
(39) And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
(40) On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.

Jesus tells us to love God above all things. This is the first commandment. The second is like the first, and it is this: You shall love your neighbor as yourself. These two commandments hang all the law and prophets, and this is most certainly true. One may ask, "How do I love God?", or, "What about the Ten Commandments? Are these taking their place?" I say, look here:

John 15:9-17 KJV
(9) As the Father hath loved me, so have I loved you: continue ye in my love.
(10) If ye keep my commandments, ye shall abide in my love; even as I have kept my Father's commandments, and abide in his love.
(11) These things have I spoken unto you, that my joy might remain in you, and that your joy might be full.
(12) This is my commandment, That ye love one another, as I have loved you.
(13) Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.
(14) Ye are my friends, if ye do whatsoever I command you.
(15) Henceforth I call you not servants; for the servant knoweth not what his lord doeth: but I have called you friends; for all things that I have heard of my Father I have made known unto you.
(16) Ye have not chosen me, but I have chosen you, and ordained you, that ye should go and bring forth fruit, and that your fruit should remain: that whatsoever ye shall ask of the Father in my name, he may give it you.
(17) These things I command you, that ye love one another.

Now, look at verse ten. Jesus tells us how to love God: By keeping His commandments. This answers both questions above. To love God, we are to keep His commandments, and no, those two commandments do not void these Ten. The two carry the ten in them (just like Bible holds sixty six books). The Lord Jesus speaks the truth: On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.
Angelic Enigma
Christian

Re: The Greatest Commandment

Postby PassionForHisWord » Thu May 28, 2009 3:03 am

You can also look at it in the reverse: If you truly love Him, then you'll be obedient to Him.
"Search me, O God, and know my heart; Try me, and know my anxieties; And see if there is any wicked way in me, And lead me in the way everlasting." - Psalm 139:23-24
PassionForHisWord
Christian

Return to Christianity 101