Got oil? (Matt 25:1-13)

Words of Christ in stories and parables from the Bible.

Got oil? (Matt 25:1-13)

Postby EnderGate » Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:49 pm

Matthew 25:1-13 - The bridegroom is Christ.

1 Then shall the kingdom of heaven be likened unto ten virgins, which took their lamps, and went forth to meet the bridegroom.

2 And five of them were wise, and five were foolish.

3 They that were foolish took their lamps, and took no oil with them:

4 But the wise took oil in their vessels with their lamps.

5 While the bridegroom tarried, they all slumbered and slept.

6 And at midnight there was a cry made, Behold, the bridegroom cometh; go ye out to meet him.

7 Then all those virgins arose, and trimmed their lamps.

8 And the foolish said unto the wise, Give us of your oil; for our lamps are gone out.

9 But the wise answered, saying, Not so; lest there be not enough for us and you: but go ye rather to them that sell, and buy for yourselves.

10 And while they went to buy, the bridegroom came; and they that were ready went in with him to the marriage: and the door was shut.

11 Afterward came also the other virgins, saying, Lord, Lord, open to us.

12 But he answered and said, Verily I say unto you, I know you not.

13 Watch therefore, for ye know neither the day nor the hour wherein the Son of man cometh.
EnderGate
Christian

Postby EnderGate » Tue Jan 08, 2008 3:36 am

It is fairly obvious Christ is the Bridegroom, we are the bridesmaids, the banquet is heaven. What is the oil we must have to keep our lamps lit? Is it the Holy Spirit? Must we have it to get in?
Exodus 27:20 wrote:And thou shalt command the children of Israel, that they bring thee pure oil olive beaten for the light, to cause the lamp to burn always.
Psalm 23:5 wrote:Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over.

John 3:3-6 wrote: Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God. Nicodemus saith unto him, How can a man be born when he is old? can he enter the second time into his mother's womb, and be born? Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God. That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit. Marvel not that I said unto thee, Ye must be born again.
John 14:17 wrote:Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you.
John 14:26 wrote:But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.
1 Cor 6:19 wrote:What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own?
EnderGate
Christian

Re: Got oil? (Matt 25:1-13)

Postby EnderGate » Mon Mar 31, 2008 4:49 pm

Matthew 22 wrote:11 And when the king came in to see the guests, he saw there a man which had not on a wedding garment:

12 And he saith unto him, Friend, how camest thou in hither not having a wedding garment? And he was speechless.

13 Then said the king to the servants, Bind him hand and foot, and take him away, and cast him into outer darkness, there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth.

14 For many are called, but few are chosen.
EnderGate
Christian

Postby Angelic Enigma » Wed May 27, 2009 6:38 pm

Jeremiah 33:11 KJV
(11) The voice of joy, and the voice of gladness, the voice of the bridegroom, and the voice of the bride, the voice of them that shall say, Praise the LORD of hosts: for the LORD is good; for his mercy endureth for ever: and of them that shall bring the sacrifice of praise into the house of the LORD. For I will cause to return the captivity of the land, as at the first, saith the LORD.

Hosea 2:16 ESV
(16) "And in that day, declares the LORD, you will call me 'My Husband,' and no longer will you call me 'My Baal.'
Angelic Enigma
Christian

Postby PassionForHisWord » Thu May 28, 2009 3:06 am

EnderGate wrote:
Matthew 22 wrote:11 And when the king came in to see the guests, he saw there a man which had not on a wedding garment:

12 And he saith unto him, Friend, how camest thou in hither not having a wedding garment? And he was speechless.

13 Then said the king to the servants, Bind him hand and foot, and take him away, and cast him into outer darkness, there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth.

14 For many are called, but few are chosen.

We need to have the right clothes too: the righteousness of Christ.
"Search me, O God, and know my heart; Try me, and know my anxieties; And see if there is any wicked way in me, And lead me in the way everlasting." - Psalm 139:23-24
PassionForHisWord
Christian

Return to Christianity 101