Is truth absolute?

Talk about Jesus Christ, the unblemished lamb of God, whose blood washes away the sins of the world. Our helmet of salvation.

Is truth absolute?

Postby EnderGate » Tue Nov 20, 2007 6:16 am

Is truth absolute or relative?

If our experience of truth is not absolute, it must be relative to something; if so, to what is it relative?

Do we focus on our knowledge for truth, or truth itself. The relationship between Truth and our experience of truth rests on two things: revelation and orientation.

The Divine proactively reveals Truth to us in ways we can engage with, and we orientate ourselves either towards or away from the absolute Truth.

If absolute Truth is in God, and our experience of truth is always fallible, then the Divine transcends us. Science and reason have an important part to play. While they cannot lead us to absolute Truth, they can at least improve our experience of truth.

No one has ever proven that there is no such thing as absolute truth. Those who hold this view simply assume that it is so. Such assumptions prove nothing. Why should we blindly accept them? This is nothing more than "begging the question". But more than this, there are logical contradictions and inconsistencies in denying absolute truth. One might even be fair in saying that people who deny absolute truth are guilty of hypocrisy. Why is this? Is the statement, "There is no absolute truth" absolutely true? If it is, then there is something that is absolutely true - that statement itself. If it isn't absolutely true, then why insist that we should all believe it? Is the statement, "All truth is relative" only relatively true? It may be relatively true for many, but if it is only relatively true, there must exist someone for whom it is absolutely true. But if that is so, then not all things are relative.

Truth is relative to our relation to the Divine, but also absolute in that the Divine is eternal and will never perish.

The dichotomy of "absolute" or "relative" might lock us in to undesirable situations. If we are relativists then we are absurd and are not honest about the fact that we live according to absolutes. If we are absolutists then we are in danger of failing to see that truth touches the temporal world and that truth is always relative to people or situations.

For example, people's tastes in food vary; they are relative to the person. However, their need for Christ as Savior is absolute; there is no variation: Everyone needs to have their sin forgiven to be accepted by God. There are no exceptions, exemptions, or exclusions. It is absolute. Isn't that clear enough?

In order for truth to be truth by definition, it would have to be absolute. Truth based on circumstance, variables and opinion is mere speculation towards a truth. As for the "relative morals", I have noticed that those who live without a "higher power" seem to care less about the formality of morals and more about the practicality of convenience.

The soul is the point at which our personal truth, or relative truth, meets God’s absolute truth (Christ), and it cannot be explained by physical laws. For while physical truth has its own relatives and absolutes, spiritual truth is real and attainable by avenues not of the physical realm.

God bless
EnderGate
Christian

Postby Arc » Tue Nov 20, 2007 10:26 am

I never actually saw it that way, great post, it gave me something to ponder for a while
I am an Exile, a Sojourner. I am a nomad, a wanderer. I am a pilgrim, a voyager. Ill never call this place my home, Im just passing through
Arc
Christian

Location: I'll never call this place my home, Im just passing through

Postby gardner » Tue Nov 20, 2007 10:43 am

Wow, it's 8:30 in the morning and y'all are stunning me all over the place.
Wonderful post.
gardner
Christian

Postby EnderGate » Wed Nov 21, 2007 12:07 am

So let me bring that all back to THE MAN...
John 14:6 wrote:Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.

Words Jesus spoke were of the Father, (think of both speaking it.)
John 14:10 wrote:Believest thou not that I am in the Father, and the Father in me? the words that I speak unto you I speak not of myself: but the Father that dwelleth in me, he doeth the works.

Jesus, being God, spoke only truths because "that in the mouth of two or three witnesses every word may be established." (Matt 18:16)

Christ didn't just speak truthfully, Christ is God in flesh, his very nature is that of absolute truth of God. For Christ, His words/actions are positively and absolutely true! :cross
EnderGate
Christian

Re:

Postby verily777akaShamu171 » Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:12 pm

EnderGate wrote:Christ didn't just speak truthfully, Christ is God in flesh, his very nature is that of absolute truth of God. For Christ, His words/actions are positively and absolutely true! :cross

Amen!!! :D
Numbers 6
24 The LORD bless thee, and keep thee:
25 The LORD make His face shine upon thee, and be gracious unto thee:
26The LORD lift up His countenance upon thee, and give thee peace.
verily777akaShamu171
Christian

Return to Let's Talk Christ!