The Superiority of the New Covenant

Talk about Jesus Christ, the unblemished lamb of God, whose blood washes away the sins of the world. Our helmet of salvation.

The Superiority of the New Covenant

Postby PassionForHisWord » Fri Dec 05, 2008 8:58 pm

Recall when Abraham had just won a great battle against several kings, he was visited by a mysterious man known as Melchezidek, the priest-king of Salem. For whatever reason, Abraham decided to give this man one tenth of the spoil that he had gotten from the battle that he won.

Let's consider this for a moment. The man from whom all Judaism came from, Abraham, was giving tithe and therefore showing respect to this unknown figure. He was acknowledging that this man was greater than he is.

but he [Melchezidek] whose genealogy is not derived from them received tithes from Abraham and blessed him who had the promises.
Now beyond all contradiction the lesser is blessed by the better. - Hebrews 7:7

So what does this all mean? We can easily conclude that Abraham represents Judaism, being the father of it. But who does Melchezidek represent?

The Psalms prophesied that the Messiah would be "a priest forever according to the order of Melchezidek" (Psalm 110:4).
The apostle Paul said that Melchezidek, "without father, without mother, without genealogy, having neither beginning of days nor end of life, but made like the Son of God, remains a priest continually." (Hebrews 7:3)
Jesus said "Your father Abraham rejoiced to see My day, and he saw it and was glad." (John 8:56)

Clearly, Melchezidek represents Jesus Christ in His position of the New Covenant's High Priest. Some even suggest that Melchezidek was and appearance of Jesus Christ Himself in the Old Testament considering how Melchezidek was without genealogy. I agree that He is. Melchezidek means "king of righteousness" and Salem can be translated as "peace". So really, Melchezidek, King of Salem means "King of Righteousness, King of Peace". Sounds like Jesus to me. Salem may also refer to Jerusalem, which is where Christ will reign from when He returns.

So if Abraham represents the Old Covenant, and Melchezidek represents the New Covenant, what do we see illustrated in this passage?
We find the Old Covenant itself acknowledging the New Covenant to be greater.

Then the question arises "How could Jesus be a priest if He wasn't from the tribe of Levi (the priestly tribe of Israel)?"

Here's Paul's explanation:

"For it is evident that our Lord arose from [the tribe of] Judah, of which tribe Moses spoke nothing concerning priesthood.
And it is yet far more evident if, in the likeness of Melchizedek, there arises another priest who has come, not according to the law of a fleshly commandment, but according to the power of an endless life.
For He testifies: "You are a priest forever According to the order of Melchizedek."
For on the one hand there is an annulling of the former commandment because of its weakness and unprofitableness,
for the law made nothing perfect; on the other hand, there is the bringing in of a better hope, through which we draw near to God." (Hebrews 7:14-19)
"Search me, O God, and know my heart; Try me, and know my anxieties; And see if there is any wicked way in me, And lead me in the way everlasting." - Psalm 139:23-24
PassionForHisWord
Christian

Return to Let's Talk Christ!