Deity of Christ verses

Talk about Jesus Christ, the unblemished lamb of God, whose blood washes away the sins of the world. Our helmet of salvation.

Deity of Christ verses

Postby PassionForHisWord » Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:21 pm

This thread is inspired by Ender's "Where does Jesus say He is God?" thread. I decided that I wanted to start a thread completely devoted to us posting passages and verses that reveal or imply the deity of Christ. I figured that we all disagree on a lot of things, but this is a topic that we can ALL agree upon with confidence.

Here are the rules:

You can't take a ton of verses that you've looked up from Biblegateway or something and post it in one gigantic chunk. I want everyone to have the opportunity to participate in this.
What we'll do is post a passage or verse that we may have come across a particular day in our reading of scripture that pertains to Christ's deity. If needed, the poster can also give an explanation of the verse.

The purpose of this thread is to not only unite us in at least one topic of our faith, but also to encourage everyone on here to be reading scripture more often. If all of us on here are on the constant look out everyday for verses like that in our Bible, think of the treasure trove we'll have created in this thread, full of these sorts of verses! We could also end up using this thread as a reference for backing up our claims that Christ is God should the opportunity ever come!

I'll do the first one as an example. Today I came across this passage:

And I will pour on the house of David and on the inhabitants of Jerusalem the Spirit of grace and supplication; then they will look on Me whom they pierced. Yes, they will mourn for Him as one mourns for his only son, and grieve for Him as one grieves for a firstborn. - Zechariah 12:10

This is God giving a prophecy through Zechariah. God Himself refers to Himself as "Me whom they pierced". We know that the Father was never pierced, and it seems rather odd to consider the Father as one who should be mourned for as an "only son". This is an obvious prophecy of Christ, and since God is the one speaking of Himself, that means Christ is God.
"Search me, O God, and know my heart; Try me, and know my anxieties; And see if there is any wicked way in me, And lead me in the way everlasting." - Psalm 139:23-24
PassionForHisWord
Christian

Re: Deity of Christ verses

Postby benitosuave » Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:42 am

Isaiah 9
6 For to us a child is born,
to us a son is given;
and the government shall be upon his shoulder,
and his name shall be called
Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God,
Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.
7 Of the increase of his government and of peace
there will be no end,
on the throne of David and over his kingdom,
to establish it and to uphold it
with justice and with righteousness
from this time forth and forevermore.
The zeal of the Lord of hosts will do this.

This MIGHTY GOD is a child. A child. A decedent of... David...
Matthew 21
15 But when the chief priests and the scribes saw the wonderful things that he did, and the children crying out in the temple, “Hosanna to the Son of David!” they were indignant, 16 and they said to him, “Do you hear what these are saying?” And Jesus said to them, “Yes; have you never read,

“‘Out of the mouth of infants and nursing babies
you have prepared praise’?”
benitosuave
Christian

Postby PassionForHisWord » Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:40 pm

And behold, a leper came and worshiped Him, saying, "Lord, if You are willing, You can make me clean." Then Jesus put out His hand and touched him, saying, "I am willing; be cleansed." Immediately his leprosy was cleansed. - Matthew 8:2-3

Rather than rebuking the leper for worshiping Him, He healed Him.
"Search me, O God, and know my heart; Try me, and know my anxieties; And see if there is any wicked way in me, And lead me in the way everlasting." - Psalm 139:23-24
PassionForHisWord
Christian

Postby Angelic Enigma » Sat Jul 04, 2009 1:52 pm

God tells us to worship none but Him.
Exodus 34:14 KJV
(14) For thou shalt worship no other god: for the LORD, whose name is Jealous, is a jealous God:

Jesus is worshiped after His resurrection, and He allows it. He even says all power is given to Him:
Matthew 28:16-20 KJV
(16) Then the eleven disciples went away into Galilee, into a mountain where Jesus had appointed them.
(17) And when they saw him, they worshipped him: but some doubted.
(18) And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth.
(19) Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:
(20) Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen.
Angelic Enigma
Christian

Postby Jup » Sat Jul 04, 2009 5:19 pm

Even the angels know better than to receive worship:

"(Rev 19:10) And I fell at his feet to worship him. And he said unto me, See thou do it not: I am thy fellowservant, and of thy brethren that have the testimony of Jesus: worship God: for the testimony of Jesus is the spirit of prophecy."

And again:

"Rev 22:8-9
(8) And I John saw these things, and heard them. And when I had heard and seen, I fell down to worship before the feet of the angel which shewed me these things.
(9) Then saith he unto me, See thou do it not: for I am thy fellowservant, and of thy brethren the prophets, and of them which keep the sayings of this book: worship God."
As per Luke 16:31 I will no longer be reviewing posts awaiting approval, and though I am happy to discuss what the bible says/means I will no longer be discussing its accuracy or basis in fact. I consider these to be above such discussion.
Jup
Christian

Postby PassionForHisWord » Sun Jul 12, 2009 2:07 pm

For I could wish that I myself were accursed from Christ for my brethren, my countrymen according to the flesh, who are Israelites, to whom pertain the adoption, the glory, the covenants, the giving of the law, the service of God, and the promises; of whom are the fathers and from whom, according to the flesh, Christ came, who is over all, the eternally blessed God. Amen. - Romans 9:3-5
PassionForHisWord
Christian

Postby benitosuave » Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:28 am

John 5:18
18 This was why the Jews were seeking all the more to kill him, because not only was he breaking the Sabbath, but he was even calling God his own Father, making himself equal with God.
benitosuave
Christian

Postby SolusChristus » Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:49 pm

John 17:5 (King James Version)
And now, O Father, glorify thou me with thine own self with the glory which I had with thee before the world was.

It's pretty self-explanatory. :)
"Do not be deceived: God cannot be mocked. A man reaps what he sows. The one who sows to please his sinful nature, from that naturewill reap destruction; the one who sows to please the Spirit, from the Spirit will reap eternal life." Eph. 6:7-8
SolusChristus
Christian

Postby benitosuave » Tue Oct 20, 2009 5:28 pm

Mark 1
1:1 The beginning of the gospel of Jesus Christ, the Son of God.

2 As it is written in Isaiah the prophet,

“Behold, I send my messenger before your face,
who will prepare your way,
3 the voice of one crying in the wilderness:
‘Prepare the way of the Lord,
make his paths straight,’”

John the baptist is preparing the way of who? The Lord. Literally, Yahweh. Jesus = Yahweh.
benitosuave
Christian

Return to Let's Talk Christ!