Angry/Rageful Music

Talk about Jesus Christ, the unblemished lamb of God, whose blood washes away the sins of the world. Our helmet of salvation.

Re: Angry/Rageful Music

Postby gardner » Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:00 am

I'm sorry. Perhaps I missed the point of what you were saying in the original post. Perhaps, also, I don't know any real examples of the music you were opining about. I presumed it was just angry "sounding" music that sounds (to me) like grinding gears. If you have something specific in mind, maybe you could PM me with a youtube link or something.

Honestly I had one video freak me out before I posted this. It wasn't the instruments as much as it was their delivery mixed with the imagery. The imagery was wrong, but I let this one video lead me to making a judgment on all of it. Judging others is something I've struggled with and recently I've gotten a better understanding of what it means to "judge not lest ye be judged". I need to tend to my own backyard.
gardner
Christian

Postby Jup » Fri Dec 17, 2010 3:06 am

Don't we all!

You're not Robinson Crusoe that's for sure. Stereotypes are (by definition) the result of judging an entire group based on observations of a few members.
As per Luke 16:31 I will no longer be reviewing posts awaiting approval, and though I am happy to discuss what the bible says/means I will no longer be discussing its accuracy or basis in fact. I consider these to be above such discussion.
Jup
Christian

Postby Genesis » Fri Dec 17, 2010 4:56 am

I think there is an important message to be had in this thread.

I think that Christianity today has become sloppy. Christ called us to be separate, but how separate are we really? I speak collectively because I'm as guilty as anyone else.

Music is only one aspect of this greater issue, but it's amazing how much we tend to twist the truth in order to satisfy our own desires.

I have heard so-called Christian Death Metal bands... How exactly does that work? How does one combine two opposing forces? Christ conquered Death, He didn't partner up and start a band. I've never quite understood how anyone can scripturally justify such music.

I am a musician, and I enjoy certain types of the heavier music, so I'm not trying to carry out an assault on musical taste. I do not, however, try to justify my somewhat questionable enjoyment of ungodly music by using Christ's name in the title. Death Metal is ungodly, whether or not you call it Christian, much in the same way rape is rape, no matter what term you use to describe it.

I am not going to write down a list of bands here that I feel are ungodly, the Bible is not so black and white on the matter. All I know, is that western Christians have become very slack and worldly in their faith, and I think it's about time we started truly separating ourselves from the world. I leave it to the discretion of each individual to decide what is or isn't appropriate, I'm not your father, but I would suggest having a good long think, and a longer pray, about what is and isn't right in the sight of God. Remember, it's not just the words that define a song, it's the spirit of the song. Death Metal is a genre born of rebellion and hatred, and changing the lyrics does not alter that fact. Christian Death Metal is just as rebellious and hateful as the garden variety, and I'm quite confident that the Lord is just as displeased with it as He is with the rest of our compromises.

Be separate, be holy, it's far more pleasing to the Lord.
Genesis
Christian

Postby TristanCross » Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:50 pm

Jesus Christ often chooses the foolish things of the world to make His point. We should know, he chose us.
If salt loses its saltiness, how can it be made salty again?
TristanCross
Christian

Postby Genesis » Sat Dec 18, 2010 4:40 am

I have to admit, I'm not entirely sure what you meant by that mate, would you mind elaborating? I'd hate to respond inappropriately.
Genesis
Christian

Postby TristanCross » Sat Dec 18, 2010 2:23 pm

God, time and time again, has picked foolish things of this world to get His message of the Gospel out. Elaboration: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfdpFdZq7nA

I find this discussion on music much like the discussion of fasting and circumcising back in the St. Paul's day. If it causes you to stumble, ignore it. If it increases your faith, embrace it. Do not, though, judge a man for not following according to your will. It's a simple message yet one often overlooked.
TristanCross
Christian

Postby Genesis » Sat Dec 18, 2010 6:11 pm

I've seen that video before, but it doesn't really address the crux of the issue.

We, as western Christians, have an unfortunate tendency to adopt the ways of the world into our religion. It is unfortunate too, because in my experience, holiness is the most effective preacher.

If our lives speak to others, then our words will be much more effective. If, however, our lives are in no wise different from those around us, then we are not walking the walk, and we become hypocrites, preaching what we ourselves do not observe.

I'm not suggesting we all need to become monks, but there is something to be said for a life of holiness. Paul Washer, in a sense, was being a Jew to the Jews, and a Gentile to the Gentiles. I guarantee that this man does not, in his own private spare time, sit down and listen to Death Metal. He was trying to bridge a gap by reaching out to those that know no other life, rather than judging them for being different. I do not believe that he would take the same approach with professing Christians that know the truth and insist on rebelling against it.

Having said all that, music is not all black and white. Rap may well fall into the grey area in between, but there are some styles of music that are altogether evil, and yet I see Christians often try to integrate those styles into their religion.

So, you are free to take your own advice. No-one here is going to stone you for listening to music you enjoy. I would, however, urge each and every one here to take a good, long look at their lives, because I know that there are many facets of our lives that do not accurately reflect Christ in us. Just think to yourself, if Christ were here with me now, would He be pleased with what I'm doing? Would He truly enjoy sitting down with you, listening to that Metal music? Would He truly enjoy sitting down with you, watching you blow up your opponents in a bloody online battle? Many things we do that we don't really think about, but we should.
Genesis
Christian

Postby TristanCross » Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:46 am

I understand.

Slightly off topic, though: My life does not reflect Christ the least bit, unfortunately. In Baptist terms, one may say I'm not living a "born-again" lifestyle. I find it too hard. It's been like this for a while. The weird thing is, I was doing much better at it while I was going to my Catholic church. Now, ever since I've gone back to Lutheranism, I don't find myself even trying nearly as much as I was. I don't know why. My guess is that I feared mortally sinning against God, which, in Catholic theology, means you are damned until you confess to a priest. I find it hard to live my faith, especially in front of my friends in school. I still get angry a lot and swear often. I also have trouble saying "no" to things like cigarettes, alcohol, marijuana, and :censored. I still struggle with these things but I don't want to. I'm battling depression right now too. I guess I'm trying to get help with this message. So much of my time was spent studying theology that I didn't care to live the Christian lifestyle, just learn it. I even find it hard to read the Bible or any book for that matter. I'm easily distracted and don't have patience.
TristanCross
Christian

Postby Genesis » Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:28 am

I'm the same Rob.

It's much easier to learn the text than it is to live the life. That's the main reason I don't put much stock in theologians, it's all knowledge, no life. Simple Christians that have little knowledge but big faith are the kind that Christians like ourselves should look up to.

Like I said, I still like the heavier music. I can't stop liking it, but I can't find a justification for holding onto it either. I'm torn between the pleasures of the soul and the pleasures of the spirit, and the two are indeed conflicting.

Keep looking unto Him, He started it, He'll finish it, just keep following.
Genesis
Christian

Postby TristanCross » Sun Dec 19, 2010 2:36 am

Yeah. There's a lot more to it than music, though.
TristanCross
Christian

Previous

Return to Let's Talk Christ!